Thursday, July 04, 2013

First of the Season: Raspberry Jelly

I am going to go ahead and jump right into my blogging!

I made my first batch of homemade jelly today, and I think it might have been a success! Luckily I  was raised in a family that gardened and canned for as long as I can remember, so I think that maybe some of that rubbed off on me. I did make a few rookie mistakes, but those I will try to remember next time.

I decided to make wild red raspberry jelly since they are in season around here. I am really excited about this particular batch because my son is the pickiest eater I have ever met and is a huge fan of Pb&j sammies. So.... I am sure you are thinking.... okay girl, they have about a hundred types of jellies at the store. Well my picky little eater is also highly allergic to red dye, which limits the variety of foods he can eat. I am praying he will love this jelly! During my first jelly making experience I have gathered a few tips I would love to share with you! (If you are a well seasoned canner and preserver please share your tips with me)!

~When using the gel packages from the store be sure to begin with a little more fresh fruit than asked for in the directions. Using more fruit with give a brighter color when canned and also a deeper flavor. It will also ensure enough prepared juice for the jelly!!
~Damped your cheese cloth before straining the fruit. This helps clarify the juice.
~Do not boil (sanitize) your rings with the lids. I started to do this and realized how hot they would be when putting them on. If you do wish to sanitize the rings as well, be sure to remove them several minutes before placing them on the jars.

Just a few pictures of my quest....
 
The fruit before straining....
 
The juice after straining....
 
Wild Red Raspberry Jelly!!
 
I hope you enjoyed this first post! If you like what you see or if you have questions please leave comments or email me! Thank you for reading!! : )
 
 
Please visit The Cedar Seasons again soon!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your thoughts!
I love each and every message I receive!!
Blessings Always.
~Lyn