Monday, July 08, 2013

Herb Drying

For the first time this year I decided to grow a mini herb garden. I planted basil, dill, oregano, thyme and parsley. I have loved using these fresh herbs in my cooking, but the basil has grown to more than I can use right now. I am going to try my hand at drying them out to save for later recipes. I have checked out several websites and have found the National Center for Home Food Preservation to be the most helpful. They gave several tips for the first time dryer not using a dehydrator. I will do a dried herb post to let you know how my herbs turned out.
 
These are the herbs before picking...
(Don't mind the hideous deck, we have been stripping it)
The basil is overflowing!!
 
 
 After being rinsed and tied up.
 
 
 If you plan on drying herbs of your own, please be sure to check out the website I mentioned above (no I'm not affiliated) it is really informative.

I will be sure to let you know how the herbs turn out after plenty of drying time.

They hung for about a week and it turned out perfectly! I was able to dry out all that I had!

I hope you enjoyed this read!

Please visit The Cedar Seasons again soon!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the very useful tips...I've never dried my own herbs but will try it now.
    blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome! I hope it works out very well for you! Thanks for taking the time to read!

    Lyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts!
I love each and every message I receive!!
Blessings Always.
~Lyn