Monday, December 16, 2013

There Would Never Be A Day....

In December to celebrate with family and friends without our Savior Jesus Christ. As I've gotten older I have, thankfully, come to realize this more and more. I was blessed to be born to two amazing, God Fearing parents, so I have always known the true meaning of Christmas and the real gift that has been given to me. But until having a child of my own, do I truly understand the sacrifice God gave to save us all, here on Earth. So, through this Christmas Season, I want to first of all... be thankful for the blessings God has granted and to show my Faith by always walking in his footsteps. So Merry Christmas to all, from the least to the greatest.

These carousel horses originally came to the family on my mamaw's (dad's side) tree. They now adorn my mom's tree, my mom loves them so.
 

 
 

Just a few pics I snapped at my mom and dads!
 
 
This Santa has been in the family for about 20 years!
 
*Holly & Jolly*
We have just gotten ourselves to just about a week until Christmas! We are so very excited. Now I am sure most of my very loyal, amazing, patient readers have noticed it has been a while since I have been around. I have had a few Dr. related set backs, but I am praying that all will continue to be well. Now that I am back at it, I hope to get around to all my favorite blogs and check out a few new ones!

 
 The picture quality isn't the best...I am sorry. But these are a few ornaments I have made for my mom over the years.
 
 



*Wrapping It Up*

I know that most of us out in Mommy/Grandma world are well prepped at gift wrapping and trimming. But I know that I have come in contact with MANY people that have a bit of trouble when it comes to this particular task...So I have made a short picture diagram of how I get the job done. I think I've brought my husband a long way, since he used to put every thing in bags. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE gift bags (especially when I can stock up on several different types during the after Christmas sales) and some times I even wrap a gift and then put it in a gift bag...but now that we have a son, wrapped packages are so much more fun for him. Plus he gets some major fine motor skill practice! So if you would like to check that out...please click here!
 
*Christmas Eve Games for the Family*
*The simplest game that anyone can host on Christmas Eve....draw a ticket. I printed off a few blank tickets and had my wonderful three year old to decorate them with color and stickers. Each ticket has a tear off portion with their winning code word. Instead of each ticket having a number, each of our tickets have a special Christmas word. Place all the tickets in a hat and draw one for a winner. Simple, but still thrilling to the winner!
 
*The Name Game-Click Here For The Rules!
 
*Pickle Prize- With most German families, it is a tradition to find the pickle ornament hanging on the tree Christmas morning. Since there is so much hustle and bustle on that morning, I am going to hide it on Christmas Eve. The first person to find it wins a small treat bag.
 
*Christmas Carol Charades-Using strips of colored paper, write down the names of 10-12 Christmas Carols. Divide up into teams and act away!
 
*Musical Surprise- Have each guest bring a wrapped 1.00 gift to the party. If you have attendees with food allergies or intolerances please let each guest know ahead of time. We can't buy anything with gluten or red dye in my family! Have your guest stand in a circle and play a Christmas carol or sing one together. When the song finishes, the gift you hold is the gift you keep. Now keep in mind, if you are holding your gift, so is everyone else. So play again! : ) 
 
 
*Personalized Gifts & Things*
 
 
If you want to give your special one a gift that is one of a kind, you can create it! I used a dollar store coffee mug to create a simple but meaningful gift. I searched the internet high and low for the perfect quotes. Using a pack of colored sharpie markers decorate the cup, bowl or plate with your choice of words/pictures. Keep some alcohol-wipes handy incase you make a mistake. After your masterpiece is perfect, stick in in the oven at 350 Degrees Fahrenheit, for about 30 minutes. Do not pre-heat your oven! Start the timer once your oven has heated to 350. I have only tested mine in soapy water, since I don't have a dish washer!

 The bags are Christmas red and green. Sorry for the quality.
 
These AMAZING packages came in the mail just the other day. My MIL is what I would call a Sewing Genius! You give her some material, thread and a sewing machine and she can make anything. She created and personalized these Santa Bags for each of us! These will be in our family forever!
 
  
*Old Fashioned and Traditional Stockings*
I had planned these for a while now, but wow, I had no idea how hard it would be to find items for my husbands stocking that seemed more old fashioned. I ended up at Cracker Barrel and I think I did well in the end!
Traditional: Planes Body Wash, Cars Mini Cars, Duck Lip Balm, Tooth Brush, Jingle Pen, Santa Stickers, Two Red Dye Free Candy Sticks, Andes Mints, Caramel Santa and a Santa Hat Kiss.
 (Not pictured, Tic Tac Grinch Mints)
Go simple and small, nothing expensive is necessary. The more little things...the more fun!

 
Old Fashioned: Reindeer Poop Tic Tacs, Slo Poke Caramel, Old Fashioned Wrapped Hershey Bar, Peanut Chews, Peppermint Bark, Old Fashioned Candy Sticks, Caramel Santa, Peppermint Sticks.


*Special Recipe*
I sadly don't have a picture for my delicious peppermint creams. So instead of posting it under my recipe page, I decided to put it here until I have a picture of it. I first made these about six years ago, and every year since.
 
 

Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Creams
Yield 25 Creams

Ingredients
2 cups of powdered sugar
half of an egg white, mixed from powdered egg or meringue (sold at Hobby Lobby/Michaels)
1/4 tsp. peppermint oil (use oil for authentic flavor)
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 lb. dark chocolate coating

Directions
Sift the powdered sugar into a large bowl. Make a crater in the middle of the sugar with a spoon. Mix the egg white, peppermint oil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Pour the mixture into the sugar. Using a butter knife, stir the mixture. Then squeeze between your fingers until dough is smooth. Sprinkle a little powdered sugar on a clean flat work surface. Using a dusted rolling pin roll out the peppermint dough, until you reach a desired thickness.  I usually roll it out to about a 1/4 inch. Using small cookie cutters to cut out shapes. You can now lift the shapes onto a dusted cookie sheet, it is best to use a thin icing knife. It takes about an hour to dry. After the shapes have dried, melt down the chocolate and coat.

I hope you enjoy that recipe as much as my family does!

For more recipes Click Here!

*Don't Forget The Giveaway*
Click Here to go to the official page for the rules to win a 25.00 iTunes gift card!
(Even if you don't have an iPhone, you probably know someone who does! When I get them as gifts I use them for educational apps for my son! Know someone with an apple product? Then sign up to win!)

*Rambling End*
I know that this is an extremely long post! I do apologize for it's length. I had too much to share since I hadn't been on for a while. I hope each and everyone of you have a wonderful and blessed Christmas.
 

Love & Blessings Always
~Lyn @ The Cedar Seasons

 

6 comments:

  1. I for one, really enjoyed this post - it was fun and informative, with a little nostalgia thrown in! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evening Lyn,
    What a fun post! You gave me lots of great ideas! THANK YOU.
    Blessings for a very Merry Christmas to you and your family
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've shared so many great ideas! Thanks my friend and Happy Holidays! Warm hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry you were not well for awhile but sure glad you are better now.

    Take care.
    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have lots and lots of fun planned. Enjoy!
    Laura
    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous31.12.13

    great post! I like the pictures.
    will comment back - http://www.oldfashionmom.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts!
I love each and every message I receive!!
Blessings Always.
~Lyn