Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Little Sweet & A Little Sour



Hello! I hope everyone is staying warm and keeping Spring feelings in their hearts. Here at our house on Thursday, my husband realized I still hadn't taken down my "Let It Snow" sign above the hallway. He called me out on it and we took it down immediately, I guess there wasn't anything to it because we got two days of snow in a row! Luckily the day's are warming up nicely and melting most of it away. We are so ready for some sunshine and warmth, is anyone out there getting any?
  
*Tangy Dinner*


After searching high and low on the internet I finally found a suitable sweet and sour sauce recipe. Of course I had to add and take away a few things with our low sodium and gluten free diet but boy did it turn out well! So good in fact that my parents are wanting the recipe already, and I only made it last night! As many of you know (that are on a low sodium or gluten free diet) it's HARD to find alternatives for your classic favorite dishes. I am slowly but surely alternating our old favorites into our new favorites.

Click Here For The Recipe
If you LOVE or even like sweet and sour chicken or shrimp over rice then this recipe is for you!
I will even go as far as saying that you will have all you need in the pantry. White sugar, vinegar, ketchup, water, cornstarch and pineapple juice (I just used the juice from the pineapple I was going to use in the dish)! Combine the sugar, water, juice and vinegar in a sauce pot, bring to a low boil until sugar dissolves, in a separate bowl whisk together ketchup and cornstarch. After sugar dissolves add in the ketchup mixture and whisk until it thickens. Trust me it's a good one!
 





*Or Soup For Dinner*


Click Here For The Recipe
Not in the mood for Asian? What about something a little more American? Stuffed bell pepper soup...I know, you've made this before! But have you had it Low Sodium style? If you haven't, you are MISSING OUT! Instead of using a carton of full sodium beef or chicken stock switch it up with low sodium or no salt added, use a large can of salt free whole plum tomatoes and a few tablespoons of regular ketchup. It is so flavorful and GOOD FOR YOU! It wont raise your blood pressure or anything!  : )


*Sweet Dessert*


My son finally talked me into an apple sauce cake, I'm personally not a huge fan of sweets, especially since going "healthy" but he asked so much I said yes. I thought it's apple sauce, can't be too bad for you, I hope! Well we made it and he took two bites, he did however take some to his mamaw and papaw. They both loved it, so I guess it was good. I did just search for a recipe on here, I didn't make any alterations, it seemed like a very basic recipe.  

*Warm Wishes* 
I hope everyone is doing well and staying happy!
 I'm getting ready to head out to find some goodies for my next giveaway. I missed out on the Valentines one, but I'm ready for a nice sunny giveaway instead.
If you think these recipes sound delicious, check out the recipe page Here!
Blessings Always
 
@ The Cedar Seasons


10 comments:

  1. Morning Lyn,
    I understand the dilemma of Gluten free meals. I have a cousin who is like that and also 3 of her 4 children are as well. She basically turned her thoughts to totally Gluten free for the entire family instead of making 2 different meals for her daughter and husband. Smart move and it really is probably very healthy in the end for everyone.
    Your recipes sound wonderful. I will pass them along to her!!
    Have a great day.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Karen,
      Thanks for stopping by and checking out the recipes! Yes please do share the gluten free ideas, I know that sometimes it can be difficult to find something different. Maybe she can find something here for her family to eat.
      ~Lyn

      Delete
  2. Yum! I love sweet and sour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betty,
      This sauce was so good, not too sweet and not too sour! I'll be making it again with pork!
      I hope you can try it out soon, it's so easy to make!
      Thanks for checking it out!
      ~Lyn

      Delete
  3. Good Morning! I am just loving your posts! SO nice to meet you. I am going to continue to get to know you through the blog archives! Maggie/Maggie's Lil' Fixins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie,
      Thank you so much for stopping by, I found your blog through a friends, I was immediately drawn to it with your current post on the chicken/bunny house!
      I hope you find something out there in my posts that makes you want to keep coming back!
      ~Lyn

      Delete
  4. I like sweet and sour as well, but rarely think of making it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!
      I ended up buying shrimp and already had stir fry veggies, while searching for dinner ideas in the freezer it came to me.
      I found a similar recipe online, but had to switch it up a little to accommodate my family needs! It was perfect! Hope you can try it out!
      ~Lyn

      Delete
  5. I've had the pepper soup before but have never made it. Now I will. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felicia,
      I was so excited about having it low sodium, it took a few adjustments but we've finally figured it out! It's not too hard to make and it is so worth it! My mom always eats it with shredded cheese and tortilla chips! Yum!
      ~Lyn

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts!
I love each and every message I receive!!
Blessings Always.
~Lyn